Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Flowers and Wallets


If you look closely you can find little creations in all corners of the world. These little pieces were created by one of our inventive homeless population here in Boulder.

Whilst I was taking photos of this particular little installation outside Nick-N-Willy's a young lady from Two Hand's Paperie came up behind me and asked if I knew who made them. I was extremely pleased to hear that she herself knew the artist. The gentleman's name I am still unsure of but after a short conversation with another friend who works at Spruce on the West end of Pearl I was informed that it may be "Doc". Doc has apparently been creating these little, what he calls, "flowers" and "wallets" for a while.

Unfortunately the young lady from Two Hands informed me that she had seen him being arrested just prior to when my discovery was made. Whether this was in relation to his squatting on top of the Antiques store across from Lolita's I don't know. Luckily I caught a glimpse at his little creations before all traces of his work had been trashed or discarded as just mangled aluminum. Hopefully we will witness the return of his flowers to the small neglected corners of Boulder soon.

People create for different reasons and it is a rare few artists that create without tripping over there ego. Doc managed to transcend that gap and sculpt these phenomenal little creations out of human detritus with no thought of gaining any recognition for his work.


No comments:

Post a Comment