Sunday, August 1, 2010

Saggy, Seriously?

The New York Post recently published a brief article detailing a situation where a young man was ticketed for disorderly conduct because "his pants down below his buttocks exposing underwear [and] potentially showing private parts." Many cities and towns across the United States have made a move to outlaw fashion decisions such as Ruben's. Ruben has the right to dress how he wants. I don't know how many women really want to be seen with a guy displaying his worn Spongebob boxers but that is his choice. What this displays more than Ruben's undergarments is the ludicrous amount of time the American judicial system wastes on trivial issues like whether or not Ruben wishes to sag his pants.
The first time I saw someone displaying this fashion trend was in 6th Grade with a pair of red basketball shorts, up until this point I was completely oblivious to it and would remain so for a couple more years at which point my pants would also begin to hang below my waistline. My immediate thought was "What the f*ck is that guy doing?". I remember thinking that he must have been changing in the courtyard of my middle school, strange behavior considering there were females present, then realizing that his pants weren't actually coming off or being adjusted upwards I figured he was also oblivious to the fact that I could see the entirety of his, If I remember correctly, green plaid boxers.
Not more than 2 years later at the height of my own middle school career I too found that my pants had begun to inch closer and closer to the tip of my dick, had my cock been any longer and my shirts larger (it would be another couple years before the discovery of the XXL T-Shirt for myself) they surely would have continued on this trend. I don't remember making the decision consciously but then again I don't remember any decisions consciously up until a few years ago.
Most fads or trends have a life cycle that go as follows; the idea is novel, the idea catches on, and the idea dies after losing it's novelty. Jazzercise, the Macarena and now f*cking Crocs are all prime examples of fads that have been cramping America's style from the 80's, 90's and today. We have witnessed the death of Jazzercise and the Macarena and are still waiting on the obituary for Crocs. The sagging of the pants however seems to be edging toward a permanent fixture in the style in our youth and young adult population. I for one at the ripe old age of 20 am already beginning to regret this blunder and have recently adopted the liberal use of a belt in all of my fits. As of right now though the fad is holding fast to the male adolescent and seems to be a fad to be matured out of and I am okay with that. If they want to outlaw something the Macarena would be a perfect candidate, that f*cking dance paralyzed the nation for the better part of a decade!

Side note: The origin of sagging your pants originated in the United States prison system. Inmates are prohibited from wearing belts and using shoelaces because of the potential use as weapons or as an instrument to commit suicide. It has also been said that sagging ones pants indicates willingness as a sexual partner (true or false?). Outside of the penitentiary and on the streets it came to represent time served.


No comments:

Post a Comment